Friday, April 27, 2012

Do it, Now!

It's been more than 2 years since I wrote anything. As with my previous post, a very brief update of what I've been up to since December of 2010.  These past two years have been amazing from the training and racing standpoint. Lots of hard work led to many personal records (PR) and new distances. Distance, which I would have never imagined I could do.

I do remember several years back before I was into endurance sports, I went to visit my family in Fresno. While cleaning my car in front of our house, I saw a runner pass by. He looked so peaceful and focused. Watching this person run really made a dent in my brain and all I could think of at that moment in time was, "wow, I wish I was him. I wish I could do that". Of course, that dent quickly went away and as soon as I finished washing my car, I went back inside, sat in front of the TV and ate a whole jar of peanuts. This was during a time of my life where walking around the block would leave my gasping for air. It was a time where when I went to buy ice cream from Albertsons grocery store located directly in front of my apartment (less than 2 min walk), I would take my car.  Clearly, the inspiration I received from that particular runner was very short-lived.

So, what's the point? The internet is full of inspirational quotes, photos, full of motivation. In this day and age of social media, all you have to do is log on facebook and no matter how many friends you have, you'll see photos/posters filled with wise sayings, TED talks, and quotes that would almost make you want to get off the chair and do something. ALMOST!!! Go to any bookstore and they have a whole section dedicated to self-help books. Hundreds and hundreds of them telling you how to be a better person. That person running was one of my many short-lived inspirations. I've had hundreds and did absolutely nothing. They fell in the back of my head and slowly escaped through my ear openings.

Here is one of my favorite quotes... I've used this dozens of times:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Lau Tzu

Thousands of people see/read this quote every day. Millions of people every day watch Nike commercials with their slogan "Just do it" or Adidas' "Impossible is nothing". How many people "just do it" after watching it? At most, they'll probably go buy the shoes with good intentions. It's not a coincidence that right after Thanksgiving the ads on TV become healthier. You can't turn your head anywhere without seeing the word "resolution". What does that even mean and why do you need a specific date to change your life?

Again, what is my point? The point is to take that first step. Did you always wanted to start walking regularly? Did you wish you could do a marathon? How about spend more time with your family? Well, as soon as you're done reading this, put your shoes on and go for a walk. Don't wait till tomorrow. Don't even wait until after dinner... it's not going to happen. Too many excuses will come up (pick from this list...1. too full to walk/run, 2. need to help my kid with homework, 3. America's Next Top Model is going to start, etc). Do it now! In fact, don't even bother reading the rest of this. I wont be hurt, promise. Walk out the door or do whatever you think the first step is to completing your goal. This is the HARDEST step because there is always an excuse not to do something. The amount of pride you will feel AFTER you're done is impossible to put into words. You did it, you took the first step, and no one can take that away from you. Congratulations!

Ok, now... what was I talking about? Oh yeah, what have I done since December 2010... Let's see if I can summarize this:

- I ran a few more marathons with very happy times, I ran the Boston marathon in 2011, finished a couple of 50 mile races, set a new PR at an Ironman distance race. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, somewhere. Oh well.

Thanks for reading. Until the next time (I promise to NOT wait for 2  years).


Arkady

2 comments:

Alexander said...

Great to read your blog again. More please. How did Wildflower go?

adipex side effects said...

Many thanks alot, the article is good owing to its simplicity and bright thoughts!