Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Best Tasting Cheeseburger EVER

I don't typically blog about my day-to-day activities simply because it's not interesting. I mean, wake up early, run, bike, go to work, swim, and run some more. Who wants to hear about that right? Well, I am making an exception this time and would like to comment about the best tasting cheeseburger I have ever had. Beast your eyes on this:
Yup, that's right. It's Jack-in-the-Box' Ultimate Cheeseburger. Now, before I go on, let me make it clear that I don't work for Jack nor am I being paid to advertise their crappy food. Did I just say crappy? What I really meant was "the most delicious cheeseburger on the planet".

Okay Arkady, get to the damn point!!!!

Here it is....

Last night, after my regular swim session, I became alarmingly hungry. For those who do not swim competitively, swimming is by far the worse exercise you can do for fat loss. Why? Michael Phelps has rock hard abs, so it has obviously worked for him right? Well, Michael swims on average 6-8 hours a day and he also eats more food in a day that most people do in a month. But for regular folks, swimming tends to increase the appetite astronomically. Some studies suggest that an average swimmer consumes nearly three times as many calories after the swim than the calories burned while swimming. Now, there is more to life than burning calories. The undeniable fact that swimming is probably the best exercise you can do to benefit your heart and lungs really outweighs the calorie factor. If you really want to increase your endurance, VO2 Max, both aerobic and anaerobic thresholds, then start swimming. It is also by far the safest activity (providing you know how to swim) in a sense that it creates the least impact (again, providing you don't bump your head on the wall). So, while swimming may not be the most efficient activity to create a calorie deficit, it is by far the most beneficial in terms of health and overall fitness. HINT: To avoid overeating after the swim, try consuming carbohydrate-rich calories about 30 minutes prior to getting in the water. Potatoes would be a good example, and so would sugary cereal (no milk). They key here is to consume about 200 calories beforehand and as soon as the swim is over, consume another 100-200 calories of the same food but with some protein to aid muscle recovery. Do this and you can freely use swimming as part of your fat loss plan AND get all the aerobic and anaerobic benefits. Have your cake and eat it too!!! Don't forget to hydrate constantly, even while in the pool.

Now, I may have just deviated on a tangent. I was speaking about the best cheeseburger ever before I started ranting about the benefits and drawbacks of swimming. So, here I go...

After my Tuesday swim session, my hypothalamus informed my frontal cortex of the hunger issue. So, instead of waiting to go home, I just pulled into the nearest fast food joint in the area, which happened to be Jack-in-the-Box and proudly order 1 Ultimate Cheeseburger. The cheeseburger itself wasn't made any different. It had the same bun, 2 day old lettuce, aged tomatoes, and 2 well-cooked pieces of beef patties, which seemed like it was frozen for about 2 years before they decided to thaw and serve. However, this paired with my increase appetite and craving for food, it was, INDEED, the best tasting cheeseburger I have ever had.

Stay tuned next week for my top-three favorite exercises for fat loss and why.

No comments: